About Portland Street

Photo:Portland Street from Church Street

Portland Street from Church Street

Photo by Maureen Brand

Portland Street

A brief history

By Maureen Brand, North Laine resident

Built 1780-9, Portland Street runs from Church Street through to North Street. It is now a mix of mostly 20th century properties. A long term derelict site is at the Church Street end.

19th century businesses

In 1868 the street contained a coffee house, paperhanger, the Brassfounders' Arms, two bootmakers, tailors, dressmakers, upholsterer, builders, baker, engraver and lithographer/printer, jeweller, tailor, insurance agency, wastepaper stores, iron and zinc works, and stay and corset maker.

20th century businesses

In 1974 four businesses were listed: Watts & Co (builders), Patching & Son (building contractors), Blabers Portland Foundry (brass founders) and Clifford of Brighton (motor spares). Blabers at No 45 worked in sand-cast in bronze, aluminium or brass, made spanners, small marine castings, railings and lamp posts and brass fittings for the Bluebell Railway.

This page was added on 25/02/2008.
Comments/reviews:

In the 1840s, the Cap of Liberty pub stood there and was the base for Brighton Chartism. There are numerous references to it in the Chartist paper Northern Star.

By Nick Heath
On 22/09/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.