A pint of ale at the Sherwood Forest?

Photo:Basketmakers Arms, photographed in 2007

Basketmakers Arms, photographed in 2007

Gloucester Road's pubs in 1889

In 1889 there were 13 pubs and ale houses in Gloucester Road (although at that time the street was longer and crossed Queen’s Road). They were as follows:

- Basketmakers Arms (still there) – the most easterly one

- Sherwood Forest at No 17

- Canteen at No 24

- Union Inn at No 28

- Wick Inn at No 41

- Edinburgh Hotel at No 68

- Duke of Wellington at No 70

- Thomas Edlin’s Black Lion at No 77 (next to the Galeed Baptist Chapel at the top of the road – the Chapel at least has survived.)

- Sea Serpent at No 83

- Nightingale at No 96 (corner of Kensington Place, named after Florence Nightingale, not the bird)

- Brighton Tavern at No 100 (rebuilt in the 1930s but still there)

- Eagle at No 125, which was next to a former brewery later incorporated into the pub (still there)


[Previously published in the North Laine Runner, No 47, January/February 1984 and reprinted in No 209, March/April 2011]

This page was added on 25/04/2011.

According to Page's Brighton & Suburban Directory for 1890 No 20 Gloucester Road was The Canteen and No 24 the Charleville Arms (this was later Gigins the bakers shop).

By Terry Etherton
On 26/04/2011

The Black Lion was not next to the chapel as claimed, but in what is now Upper Gloucester Road on the corner of Surrey Street. It was demolished in 1920 when the road was widened to allow buses through. Tamplins records show a Charleville Arms in Gloucester Road owned by West Street Brewery from 1838-1892, Catt from 1892-1899 and by Tamplins from 1899-1919 when it closed. A directory from 1854 shows it at No 34 Gloucester Lane (the old name for Gloucester Road) and one from 1864 at No 24. No 20 appears to be the correct number for the Canteen, so were there actually 14 pubs in 1889?

By Rob Sinden
On 19/09/2011

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.