About Spring Gardens

Photo:Spring Gardens

Spring Gardens

Photo by Peter Crowhurst

Photo:Spring Gardens looking towards North Road

Spring Gardens looking towards North Road

Photo by Maureen Brand

Spring Gardens

A brief history

By Maureen Brand, North Laine resident

Spring Gardens was one of the earliest developments in the North Laine in an area known as Hicks' Gardens, which lay beyond the fishing village of Brighton and served as market gardens.  It dates back to 1789-99.  In 1800 there were only a few buildings on this First Furlong.

In 1829 the first soup kitchen for the poor was established at Spring Gardens.

Diseases prevail

In 1849 a Report to the General Board of Health listed Spring Gardens with others as "situations where diseases prevail". The Report also added "A tallow melter's at the corner of Spring Gardens and North Lane [now Road] is a source of great annoyance".

Today Spring Gardens is little more than a traffic flow convenience between Church Street and North Road. On the western side is the wall of William Collier House (YMCA) and an EDF electricity generating site, buzzing with sound - note the warning triangle:  "Danger of Death"-  and EDF offices.  On the western side is the block of Tower Point flats and vacant lots decorated with 'graffiti art' serving as car parks.

This page was added on 22/02/2008.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.