St Peter's Church

Photo:St Peter's Church

St Peter's Church

Photo by the Friends of St Peter's

Dominating the entrance to our city

By the Friends of St Peter's

St Peter's Church stands on an island between the Lewes and London roads, on the edge of North Laine, and dominates the entrance to our city. It is not an ancient church but it is very beautiful. The foundation stone was laid in 1824, during the reign of George IV, when it became clear that the mediaeval parish church of St Nicholas was too small for the growing population of Brighton.

Charles Barry won the competition

A competition to design a new parish church was won by the young Charles Barry, the architect who later designed the Houses of Parliament. He took as his inspiration the vast, late 14th century choir of York Minster. St Peter's became one of the first and finest examples of Gothic revival in England.

Consecrated in 1828

In 1828 St Peter's was consecrated by the Bishop of Chichester and in 1873 became Brighton's Parish Church. It has a fine organ and a distinguished choral tradition.

This page was added on 19/06/2008.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.