About Queen's Gardens

Photo:Queen's Gardens east side, May 2008

Queen's Gardens east side, May 2008

Photo by Maureen Brand

Photo:Queen's Gardens west side, May 2008

Queen's Gardens west side, May 2008

Photo by Maureen Brand

Queens Gardens

A brief history

By Maureen Brand, North Laine resident

Queen's Gardens is an attractive street of 2-3 storey terraced cottages built in the 1840s, running between Gloucester and North Roads.

Street directory information

Folthorp's Directory of Brighton, 1848, lists a retailers of beer, a milliner and dressmaker, a baker and "small tenements" (46 cottages). Steven & Company's Brighton Directory of 1876 identifies No 7 as the Queen's Tavern. A look at the Towner 1900 directory shows a paperhanging warehouse, shirt and collar dresser, gas fitter, draper, dressmaker, coal company and, still, the Queen's Tavern.

Queen's Gardens in the 20th century

A photograph in the Regency Society's James Gray Collection shows Queen's Gardens in 1928, with children playing in the street, and another shows the eastern side looking towards North Road in the late 1950s.

This page was added on 19/05/2008.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.