Blackman Street

Photo:Blackman Street, May 2008

Blackman Street, May 2008

Photo by Maureen Brand

Blackman Street

A brief history

By Maureen Brand, North Laine resident

Blackman Street developed 1836-41 with crowded terraced housing, encouraged by the coming of the railway and the needs of workers.

Nineteenth century occupations

Brighton directories give a glimpse of occupations within the street in the 19th century. The Post Office Directory of 1846 lists a boot and shoemaker, straw hat maker, greengrocer, shopkeeper, undertaker and (inevitably for the area) a beer retailer. Folthorp's Directory of 1848 records a boot and shoemaker, plumber/painter/glazier, dressmaker, greengrocer, shopkeeper, undertaker and beer retailer.

Twentieth century

Much has changed today. Blackman Street was affected by the redevelopment clearance in 1962 across the Blackman, Whitecross and Wood Streets area. Today, leading from Trafalgar Street to Fleet Street, are two old cottages and modern offices and it is used more for traffic circulation.

Photographs in the Regency Society James Gray Collection show small terraced housing in 1958 and 1959, apparently two storey (any cellars not visible) and part of the cleared area of Wood and Blackman Streets in 1962.

This page was added on 19/05/2008.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.