Bond Street

Photo:Bond Street, May 2008

Bond Street, May 2008

Photo by Maureen Brand

Photo:Bond Street cottages with stage door to Theatre Royal

Bond Street cottages with stage door to Theatre Royal

Photo by Maureen Brand

Photo:Stage door cottage

Stage door cottage

Photo by Maureen Brand

Photo:Bond Street, delivery van, Mead & Co

Bond Street, delivery van, Mead & Co

Print

Photo:Bond Street May 2008

Bond Street May 2008

Photo by Maureen Brand

Photo:Bond Street Wheatsheaf Inn

Bond Street Wheatsheaf Inn

Photo by Maureen Brand

Bond Street

A brief history

By Maureen Brand, North Laine resident

Bond Street developed in the second half of the 18th century, the south in 1745-79 and the north in the 1780s. It was the first road built northwards from North Street. In May 1794 it was renamed New Street but in 1805, with the arrival of New Road, Bond Street reverted to its original name.

Today this busy entrance to the North Laine is lined with small shops selling a variety of goods - cards, gifts, bags, clothing, pictures, jewellery and stationery. No 27 was the Wheatsheaf Inn until 1970 and its name can still be seen above the shop front today. Nos 35-38 are small 18th century cottages. No 35 serves as the Stage Door at the rear of the Theatre Royal.

Bond Street is within the North Laine Conservation Area, designated in 1977.

This page was added on 19/05/2008.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.