About the former New England Street

Photo:New England Street in 1957

New England Street in 1957

Reproduced with kind permission of Royal Pavilion & Museums, Brighton & Hove

New England Street today

As it was in 1957

By Peter Crowhurst, North Laine resident

This is a photographic print of New England Street, Brighton. It is a view north along the street. The Merrie Harriers public house can be seen on the corner of Cross Street on the left of the photograph. The sign on its eastern side indicates that it is part of the Kemp Town Brewery chain.

This photograph was commissioned by the Environmental Health department of Brighton Borough Council. It formed part of a visual record of areas considered for slum clearance. This section of New England Street was acquired by the Council as part of the 1956 Boston Street Compulsory Purchase Order. Many of these buildings were demolished in the 1960s. New England Street itself was lengthened in order to replace New York Street and make the link south to Cheapside.

[Reproduced with kind permission from Royal Pavilion & Museums, Brighton & Hove]

This page was added on 06/04/2008.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.