Jew Street before demolition

Photo:Jew Street

Jew Street

Photo reproduced with kind permission from Royal Pavilion & Museums, Brighton & Hove

Now the site of a car park

By Peter Crowhurst, North Laine resident

This is a photographic print of Jew Street, Brighton. It is a view down the street, looking north into Church Street.

This photograph was commissioned by Brighton Borough Council's Environmental Health department as part of a visual record of areas considered for slum clearance. Some of the buildings were demolished in the late 1930s, and a car park was later erected on the western side of the site.

Jew Street's name originates from Brighton's first synagogue, which was in this street. Built in 1792, it is believed to have stood at the southern end.

[Reproduced with kind permission from Royal Pavilion & Museums, Brighton & Hove]

This page was added on 06/04/2008.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.