About Windsor Street

Photo:Windsor Street

Windsor Street

Photo by Maureen Brand

A brief history

By Maureen Brand, North Laine resident

Windsor Street was built from the 1780s and runs from Church Street to North Street.

The Swan Downer School

In 1859 the Swan Downer School moved to Windsor Street from Gardner Street. (The school was founded for the education of 20 or more poor girls.)

A street of chapels

In the mid 19th century Windsor Street had three small chapels. The Adullam Chapel in 1836 was on the south side and known also as Windsor Street Chapel. It became notorious when it was taken over by the Reverend Henry James Prince, who declared himself as chosen by God above all men to be the perfect man, and its beliefs included free love. Other chapels were Bethsaida Hall Chapel and the Zoar Chapel.

This page was added on 07/03/2008.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.