The old Coronation Cinema

New office building

By Peter Crowhurst, North Laine resident

The new office building opposite the entrance to the Swimming Pool car park was built on the site of the Coronation Cinema that opened in 1911. Later it became the New Coronation, the Roxy and the Rex News Theatre, which closed in 1939. Later the building became the home to Redhill Motors.

In Little to Spare and Nothing to Waste, Robert Hayward describes how a visit to the Coronation made a welcome break for the poor at a weekend. He writes that "the balcony was minuscule, the stalls were long wooden forms and into these boys and girls packed tight on a Saturday morning. Before the performance the lady pianist would walk down the aisle getting the kids to sing the current hit tune."

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'The old Coronation Cinema' page

Photo by Peter Crowhurst

This page was added on 29/02/2008.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.