About Robert Street

Photo:Robert Street

Robert Street

Photo by Maureen Brand

Photo:Graffiti on Argus Lofts publicity hoarding

Graffiti on Argus Lofts publicity hoarding

Photo by Maureen Brand

Robert Street

A brief history

By Maureen Brand, North Laine resident

On the eastern side of Robert Street is a long row of three storey terraced houses built from the mid 1830s. In the middle is what once was the Jireh Calvinistic Baptist Chapel, which opened in 1846. It later became the Central Auction Room, then a bedding manufacturer and upholsterer and in 1998 was converted into flats.

Argus Lofts

Along the whole of the western side of the street is what was once the Argus newspaper building, known now as Argus Lofts. After the Argus moved out of the building, ownership changed hands several times. A serious fire took hold of part of the roof area in December 1999 whilst initial renovation was taking place. A 2001/02 conversion added a new frontage to the North Road end and an extension on what had been a parking area fronting onto Gloucester Road. The ground floor was converted into office/workspace and the upper floors to apartments. Prices for the new apartments in 2001 ranged from £120,000 to £385,000.

Not all Brightonians welcomed the conversion to loft apartments, as graffiti on developers' display boards showed.

This page was added on 25/02/2008.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.