About Kensington Gardens

Photo:Shopping in Kensington Gardens

Shopping in Kensington Gardens

Photo by Maureen Brand

Photo:Busy day in Kensington Gardens

Busy day in Kensington Gardens

Photo by Peter Crowhurst

Kensington Gardens

A brief history

By Maureen Brand, North Laine resident

Kensington Gardens was the first street to be built north of North Road in 1808 and in the 1820s there was a row of cottages and a nursery garden. It is still possible, looking up, to see the upper floors of the houses.

Kensington Gardens, much photographed, is a narrow, pedestrianised street of small shops running between Gloucester Road and North Road.

The core of North Laine

It became the famous core of shopping in North Laine and continues to attract many visitors. Shop trade include books, fudge and other confectionery, hairdressing, clothing, pictures, brica-a-brac, spectacles and food.

The Body Shop

Anita Roddick opened the first Body Shop at 22 Kensington Gardens in 1976.

The 'Kenny'

The public house, the Kensington, once known widely as the 'Kenny', became the New Kensington and in 2008 has re-emerged as The White Rabbit.

This page was added on 25/02/2008.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.