About Frederick Place

Photo:School building, Frederick Place

School building, Frederick Place

Photo by Maureen Brand

Photo:John Peel mural, side of Prince Albert public house

John Peel mural, side of Prince Albert public house

Photo by Maureen Brand

A brief history

By Maureen Brand, North Laine resident

Built in the early 19th century, today Frederick Place is a narrow street running from Trafalgar Street railway underpass to the junction with Queen's Road.

The old school

On the eastern side are old cottages and modern offices. No 35 was St Nicholas Girls School, later occupied by a footwear merchant and manufacturer and converted into the Old School House, eleven flats, in 2002.

In 1987 Nos 36-37 Frederick Place won a Council Planning Award for design.

On the western side

Starting on the western side from the station is the rear of modern offices fronting Queen's Road. No 4 is older. It was a bonded warehouse during the period 1881-1970 - the Central Duty Free Warehouse.

This page was added on 25/02/2008.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.