Tuscan columns and giant pilasters

Photo:The original Hanover Chapel, now part of Brighthelm Church & Community Centre

The original Hanover Chapel, now part of Brighthelm Church & Community Centre

Photo by Henry Bruce

Original Hanover Chapel, now part of Brighthelm Church & Community Centre

By Jackie Fuller, North Laine resident

The building in the foreground of this photo is the original Hanover Chapel, now the main auditorium of Brighthelm Church & Community Centre in North Road.

Built in 1825

The Hanover Chapel was built in 1825 as an independent chapel for the Reverend M Edwards and was then used by the Presbyterian Church from 1844 until 1972 when the congregation combined with that of the Union Church. After that the chapel was used as a Greek church until 1978, but the church hall in North Road was gutted by fire in 1980 when in use as a resource centre. However, the southern facade of the listed building, with twin porches, Tuscan columns and giant pilasters, was preserved and restored. It was designed by Wells-Thorpe and Suppel Ltd and was opened on 10 October 1987.

Queen's Road Rest Garden

In 1845 Queen's Road was built over the western edge of the burial ground, but the cemetery's boundary wall and railings remain on the western side of Queen's Road as a raised pavement. In 1949 the churchyard was laid out as the Queen's Road Rest Garden, with the gravestones being removed to line the perimeter walls.

 

[Previously published in the North Laine Runner, No 233, March/April 2015]

 

This page was added on 26/04/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.